The holidays are upon us. Luckily for all you out there, we don’t have too many plans this year over here at Collecting Smiles HQ, so we keep working on the Colors! 3D update that we’ve promised to bring you – perhaps eating some delicious gingerbread cookies to get into the holiday spirit.
Here is the new Gallery front page and as you can see, it’s quite slimmed down compared to the current version. I talked about “Followers” previously, and this is where the new paintings from the artists you follow will show up – right front and center. And see the new icon in the bottom right corner? That is for notifications. This button will be available throughout the gallery and will notify you when someone comments on or likes a painting of yours. Tapping the notification button will bring up a screen that gives you information about everything that’s been going on since the last time you visited the gallery. Now let’s take a look at what happens when you tap the Browse button.
As you can see, there is a bunch of new ways to browse the Colors! Gallery. You still have the Top/Weekly/New lists that we have right now, but now there is the search bar that I know many of you have been asking for. There are also a few brand new buttons: “Trending” can best be described as a best of the day. “New Scribbles” is where paintings that took less than 10 minutes to create will appear. That also means that New Paintings will only show paintings that took 10 minutes or MORE to create, which I think will make that list a bit nicer. Finally, there is a Featured Tags button, but I’ll save that one for a later post.
So, when will the update be released? It is almost finished now and we’ve started the send the latest development builds through our QA to get a sense for how much we have left to get everything finalized. But as you probably have guessed at this point, the update won’t be out before the end of the year as we were so optimistically hoping for. As always, it’s incredibly hard to give accurate information when something will be available in the store. But to give you something to go on, here is what we know:
1. Development – We have about a week or two of development left.
2. Localization – After that it needs to go through localization/translation, which takes about a week.
3. Bug-fixing – Then we need to make sure we’ve fixed all the bugs, which might take 0-2 weeks (we might have fixed all at this point already)
4. Submission – This is when we submit the update to Nintendo, and we will have to wait for them to test it. I don’t know how much time this will take, probably 1-3 weeks
5. Possible re-submission – Nintendo tests everything, and if they found something that they can’t approve the send it back to us and we’ll have to correct it and resubmit.
6. Ready for Release – After Nintendo has tested and approved everything, it will be ready to go online. This might also take a little bit, as they plan their releases in the eShop. Perhaps a week or two.
Adding all together makes it look like a February release, doesn’t it? In the mean-time, I hope you can all be patient, because I’m pretty sure you will find it worth waiting for!
The Colors! 3D update for Nintendo 3DS will be a free update that you will be able to download from the eShop. There is no set release-date, but our best guess at this point is February.